Tuesday, February 1, 2011

MPMK Guest Post: Steph's Favorite Kid's Space

All photos via Cape 27

I'm excited to introduce my very first guest blogger! Steph from MPMK is an awesome gal with great taste! So glad she is here today:
g
Hello Cove Street readers! I'm Steph from Modern Parents Messy Kids and I'm delighted to be guest posting here today. I haven't had the chance to post much on total room design over at MPMK - I have visions of creating some fabulous design board posts but it just hasn't happened yet. In the meantime, please enjoy the eye candy that is this fabulous nursery.

I first spotted this space from Cape 27 over at Spearmint Baby and it's been popping up everywhere since then. Take a look at the pictures below and you'll see why. I'm not one that likes to O.D. on pink in a girl's room - too much of the stuff tends to give me a sugar headache. But here the use of grey with pink accents strikes the perfect balance between sweet and modern. There are also lots of little touches that make this room a chic space that will grow right along with it's inhabitant.

The thing that jumps right out at you is the gorgeous palette. The subtle grey walls are the perfect back drop to all the colorful-yet-serene pops of fabric. I love using fabric in lots of different ways around a nursery. Here a collection of framed swatches makes for a stunning focal point above the changing table.

In S's nursery I spelled out her name above the crib using homemade fabric decals. The process couldn't be more simple - just apply fabric stiffner, trace and cut out the letters, and iron them onto the wall. That's right, I said iron them directly onto the wall. They will stay up forever without causing any permanent damage (unless you blister the paint by setting the iron too hot - not that I did that).


The space also does a great job of juxtaposing lots of softer elements with a few edgier pieces like this zinc "Z".


Finally, I love me some storage containers and this room has them in spades. Again the materials range from the traditional (a wicker basket) to the unconventional (a galvanized tub from Lowes).

I hope you've enjoyed going on this little tour with me and many thanks to Katie for inviting me over. Please stop by Modern Parents Messy Kids to say hi and enter our giveaway for the chance to create your own collage poster, great for any nursery or kids space.

Thanks Steph, I'm loving that room as well, you can't go wrong with grey. Check out MPMK for loads of ideas for your little ones. These Valentines are ingenious!

2 comments: