Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Welcoming Entry Way

My new entry way rug arrived the other day, and I am loving it! My four year old refers to it as a maze:)



So, although my 'design mind' is already a million places, I've decided I want to mix up what I have in my entry and make it more of a "functional" space. Check out these amazing entries and useful ideas to making your entry function with high style.

This is the perfect example of function meets style. Love that there is a place for kids' jackets, purses, boots, etc. The bins are great for hats and gloves. What is better than the soft glow of a lamp to welcome guests in the evening? And lets just be honest, that piece of furniture is awesome!
(Apartment Therapy)


Mirrors are a great way to add light to an entry and kind of open up the space. These 6 mirrors make the space look fresh and airy and I bet you could do this fairly inexpensively as a DIY or an IKEA purchase.
(Apartment Therapy)
If you want a similar look for really inexpensive try this Malma IKEA mirror for $2.99 each.


What a great idea to use chalkboard paint in your entry. For a lot of people this is the last spot they see before entering or exiting their home, so it seems fitting to have a place for reminders and lists. Love it! Did you notice the boot tray underneath the bench? Ballard's is having a sale on theirs right now for $15, not bad. A cookie sheet would do the job just as well. I also love the 'bringing the outdoors in' feeling that the planted topiary gives the space.
(Country Living)


This one is fabulous! Very clean, and sophisticated, but welcoming at the same time. Seating is great to have in your entry to allow a spot for guests to put their shoes on. You could even sit at this console table and pay bills or write a thank you card. I'm loving anything with "X" legs these days!
(Elle Decor)


Defining your entry with a fun wallpaper or stencil is a great way to set it apart from the rest of your house. It kind of helps it to feel like its own room. I like how there isn't really one defining piece of furniture in this space but that the cabinet, storage trunks and chair all work together and are unified by white. It allows the wallpaper to be the star. And seriously, how great are those round coat hangers?!

(Apartment Therapy)

Last but not least...don't you just want to see more of this house? I think for most people our entry way is what guests see first, kind of like a first impression, we want others to feel comfortable and welcomed in our home.
(Elle Decor)

Here's to making our entries function for our needs as well as reflect our style! Wish me luck as I attempt to make mine do just that:) I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Loving that entire entry with the X leg stools - the tall white wall with molding? Yum. Love your rug too, and I literally got a little breathless with the nursery scheme. I CANNOT wait to see it all done. I can totally see it for a little girl's room too. Like my little girls. In my future house. Or even this one. Is it too soon to redo theirs? haha :) You are awesome Katie. Really!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is the rug from? I've been looking for something similar for a long time :P

    ReplyDelete