Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Tying It All Together?

I've been thinking lately about having an "anchor" piece in a room, you know, a piece of fabric or art that ties the color scheme together. Do you think its necessary?

And if you do, do you feel like its okay to add a color to a space that isn't in your "anchor" piece?

I don't see an anchor piece here and love the addition of the red (Elle Decor)


I've always used a fabric that had all the colors I wanted in a room, and I definitely think it helps a room to feel pulled together. I just can't help but think I want to mix it up this time around with my living room. Have it feel pulled together but not "matchy". So, I'm struggling with not having that piece of fabric.

The coverlet is definitely "it" here, and it doesn't feel too "put together". (Style At Home, Photo: Sue Stubbs)


The boys and I were at JoAnn's yesterday and I checked out a few fabric samples that I liked to see if I could pull something together. Keep in mind I know that the patterns are all large and random, and that isn't working, I was just grabbing colors in order to get home to meet my 1st grader:)

I love me some green, all different shades please. Too boring?

This floral is so fun, I think the colors are working, and although pink would be awesome it just doesn't feel like me.

I just put the fabrics I really liked together just to see. Not happening...

This one feels blah.

I would love to know what you guys think, does a room need something that ties all of the colors together?

3 comments:

  1. I'm liking that second group of swatches. Go with what you absolutely love and it'll look great! Not everything has to or even should be matchy-matchy. I say go with your gut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 2nd group too--the bold black & white with the floral I love! Other pieces are ok but could be played with. I don't think you need to repeat the coral if you don't want.
    P.S. So you don't like bunnies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with the two other posters...that second grouping is awesome!

    ReplyDelete